They did it this year: Owen & Oscar had their first official camp out with no parents! Otter Pond (the YMCA summer camp where we send the boys for two weeks each year) has a camp out night several times during the summer. Last year, some of you may remember, Owen tried to do it, but we got a call around 11pm from Owen saying he wanted to come home.
This year, they both wanted to do it, despite Oscar's freak-out midway through the two weeks of camp. (He wasn't amused at the long days or the heat!) So, last Thursday I dropped them both off at camp at 9am and we didn't see them again until the end of camp on Friday afternoon around 3pm! They were pretty dirty and smelly, but they said that the camp out was "awesome." They roasted hot dogs and had mac & cheese for dinner... roasted marshmallows and made s'mores... and went for a night hike. They were covered in bug bites! Oscar had at least seven on his face and umpteen more on his arms, legs, and back. Owen wasn't quite so covered, but he didn't get out of it unscathed, either. Friday night I doused them in calamine; they always like the fun, pinkish-white dots that are left all over their bodies. Many of the counselors told me that they were impressed that someone as young as Oscar did the camp out! Owen credits their success to "having a buddy from home."
Owen learns a little about the Songo River
****************************************
That wasn't the only fun sleepover going on around here... Two weekends ago, while Skip was away on his annual Boys' Weekend trip to Foxwoods the kids & I had a sleepover in our room. We piled into bed and watched "Flushed Away" on my TV as the boys munched on Reeses Pieces. Oscar found that especially exciting since we don't normally allow food or drink upstairs! After the movie we all fell asleep together in the big bed and it was really fun snuggling up with the kids for the night! They are so darned cute. That same weekend, we also spent some time in Naples riding the Songo River Queen II. It was very relaxing and fun- the boys loved watching the huge paddles that move the boat through the water.
Owen & Oscar- enjoying lemonade on the Songo River Queen II
************************************************************
We had so much fun on our sleepover night that we did it again last night so Skip could share in the fun, too. We watched "Flight of the Navigator-" which wasn't quite as thrilling as I remembered it being when I was a kid- but the boys seemed to like it nonetheless. We had a fun night together. Skip's at work now and the boys are still asleep in our bed!
Anyway, it's shaping up to be a nice day so I think I'll take the kids over to Maze Craze to let them explore! Have a beautiful day and enjoy that sunshine!
xoxo k.

























Hi Koren! I have had two emails to you bounce back - so here is my next attempt. I was trying to start emails on girls weekend (no pics on your blog!), here is the link I sent out: http://www.million-dollar-mama.com/index.php
ReplyDeleteSorry to stalk you through your blog!Wendy