Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Fine Art of Tongue-Biting

It's an art I have yet to perfect. But I'm trying. If I've talked to you in the last week or two, then you likely know mainly why I'm trying to bite my tongue. The rest of you, well... I'll fill you in later. Enough for now. (Wow- I'm improving my art already. Can you believe that's all I said??)

Let's move onto the exciting kid news! On Mothers' Day weekend, the boys attended their first Spring Fling for Cub Scouts. Oscar earned his Bear badge and "crossed over" from Wolf. Owen crossed over to a 2nd-year Webelo: the last stop as a Cub. Next year he'll move onto Boy Scouts. They spent the weekend at Camp Hinds- Skip stayed over with them.

Good ole Mom spent the weekend at home with Rocco... But Saturday night was fun; we had a sleepover. We had planned to go to breakfast together in the morning so Rocco could treat me to a Mother's Day breakfast, but our plans got botched when the guys called to say they were ready to be picked up early. So we retrieved the overtired, dirty campers and all their filthy laundry (Happy Mothers Day!!) and dropped them off at home before heading to breakfast. We had a lovely meal together and went back home in hopes that the gang had gotten cleaned up, put their stuff in the washer and was ready to dote on Mommy. Well, yeah... that didn't happen. They were mostly clean, but the doting was nowhere to be seen.

What happened instead was the big boys couldn't stop arguing over who was going to feed which pet before we went for a drive together to visit Grandma. So I wrote them a note that read something like this:
"Dear Family,
I've gone for a nice, quiet drive by myself
and I'm not coming back until my children can
stop yelling and fighting and act like they love each other.
I love you; call me.
-Mommy"
I calmly slid the note onto the counter where they were arguing, walked out the door and drove off to visit my mom. About 20 minutes later, the cell phone rang and the hysterical crying of children ensued. Good times!
On the bright side, I did have a great visit with MY mom...
The weather here has been beautiful the past week. We've taken advantage of that by spending lots of time outside and repotting plants. Unfortunately, that also means extra bug exposure. We found a deer tick on Rocco yesterday morning-- wedged way up behind his ear. I finally wrangled it free and intact, but then Skip had to take the tick to the vector-bourne disease lab in South Portland. There they confirmed the type of tick and told us approximately how long it had been on him (12 hours or so.) Now, the doctor has us just watching him for Lyme disease symptoms.
More from the dark side later... (I'll be sure to keep you posted on Rocco when/if we hear anything new. But no news is GOOD news.) Be sure to click the picture above this post to check out new photos. I updated them just for you!
Love ya!! (and thanks for sticking with me here on the little blog...)
xoxo k.

No comments:

Post a Comment