Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolution


I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions. I think they're silly most of the time. Sure, you can say you're going to lose weight or stop smoking (both are excellent goals, of course) but- if you really want to do either of those- why wait for January 1st? I mean, why not start the new goal as soon as it crosses your mind? I think you set yourself up for failure if you wait for a special day.

However, being the hypocrite this year, I've got a New Year's Resolution. Or maybe it's a New Year's Non-Resolution... I'm going to cancel my gym membership.

This is a very freeing thought! The last time I set foot in the gym regularly, I was pregnant with Rocco. I've been 2-3 times since his birth, but that doesn't really count, in my opinion. It wasn't anything regular. So, basically, for about 18 months, I've been paying monthly gym fees for something I'm not using. According to my calculations, I've paid over $700 in the last year and a half for the privilege of going to the gym twice or so. And... why?

I guess I've been paying for the idea that I might drive over there any minute and start working out. (Which I actually used to do and enjoy...) In my head, to cancel my membership would have meant that I was giving up all hope of getting to the gym at all. It would have meant I definitely wasn't going to the gym. The death of HOPE. Too sad to think about, so I ignored it.

I actually tried to go back to my regular workouts when Rocco was 6 weeks old. But the babysitters at the gym told me they wouldn't take him until he could sit on his own- around 9 months old. argh! I was so frustrated. I mean, I actually had the interest in working out and I couldn't unless I found a sitter for a few hours each week and it just seemed overwhelming to me. They might as well have told me that they wouldn't take him until he was nine years old. It seemed really far away! And that turned me off, even though I like my gym and I'm sure it was nothing personal against my sweet little babe. Rather than try to arrange a sitter, I decided I didn't need to really tone. ha!

Instead, I started walking on the treadmill regularly and hoping that it would be enough. Well, it has definitely helped. I could still use a lot of toning. Maybe I will get back to the gym again. But I'm only giving myself to the end of the month (January.) Which stinks, since the gym is always the most crowded right after New Year's and you have to wait for the good machines... But if I haven't returned to the gym by then, it's getting slashed from the budget!

What's your resolution? (Post it in the "Comments" section if you're brave...)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:18 PM

    I'm brave!
    My new Years Resolution is to lose weight!I know I shouldn't wait til the New Year to do it,but I really need to do it this time!We are done having kids so I have no excuse to gain any weight!Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete